Politics covers many important topics. Top politicians have to handle at least six arenas – each important in their own way. If you aspire to be a top politician you have to be resourceful in the following different fields:
1. Ideology – to have a thoroughly considered system for analysis of your society and ways to develop it in the future. It is about content in your politics. What are the core issues that your party focuses on, and what solutions do you propose for them?
2. Running a campaign – can you win the elections?
3. Negotiating – how successful are you when it’s time to negotiate with other parties – and more importantly how will you act when it comes to forming a government?
How good are you when it’s time to form and sustain alliances, not only at national level, but also at the EU-level and in international fora?
a) how can you develop your political and policy proposals within your ministry with help from your political advisers and non-political officials and experts?
b) How can you see to it that this development leads to your desired goals?
c) How can you lead your own party in a way that develops the ideology?
d) How do you minimise the risk of fatigue in ideology development so that you don’t run out of good ideas and proposals after just a few years?
e) And last, but not least; how do you lead the country and your own ministry if Sweden is threatened by a peace time crisis or war?
5. Communications – how do you act continuously in both traditional and social media to support your party’s issues? Your personal brand is always at stake in this arena.
6. Winning debates – are you good at arguing and discussing with other politicians and able to win debates in parliament and in the media?
Your responsibility as a voter is to cast your vote only to those politicians that you believe are the best in all these six arenas.
Any suggestions on what readers may think I have omitted, please feel free to comment.
AUTHOR STAFFAN ROS
Former director (a non-political official) at the Ministry of Education and Research
Staffan’s Thinking – What do we want from our politicians?
Michael Flynn had previously admitted lying to the FBI on two occasions. Is Trump now preparing the ground to pardon himself? We will soon know
Humpty Dumpty had such a great fall And Donald Trump an even bigger FALL.! And to cap it all. 4 years of falling in and
The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) does not treat me well. Sob, sob. Only paid Dollars 750 in 2016, and zero taxes in 10 out of
No one else less qaualified to be the “LEADER” of the freeworld!